Canker sores (mouth ulcers or aphthous ulcers) are small red bumps with yellow or white centers that occur inside the mouth, lips, cheeks, tongue and throat.
It is caused due to many reasons like helicobacter pylori (bacteria), unhealthy diet, hormonal imbalances, food allergies or sensitivity, vitamin deficiencies, excessive stress, accidental cheek bites, consumption of spicy foods, genetics, low immunity, certain medications, etc.
They are painful that causes tingling or burning sensation around the affected area but they are not contagious and can be healed within a couple of weeks without any treatment.
For quick relief, you should take some remedial measures when you notice the initial signs or symptoms of the canker sores. To get rid of pain or irritation, most people uses over the counter medicines,
Yes, here in this article, we listed some best natural remedies that ease the pain and irritation which are associated with canker sores and thereby promotes faster healing.
Home Remedies for Canker Sores:
Discover the amazing natural remedies that work best in dealing with the pain and irritation caused due to canker sores and also helps for its faster relief.
Remedy – 1: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda has an antimicrobial property that kills bacteria causing canker sores. It restores the pH balance in the mouth and soothes the sores with its anti-inflammatory property.
Here are some ways of using Baking Soda for Canker Sores.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water. Stir and use it to rinse your mouth for several times daily until you get rid of the problem.
- Mix enough water to 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to make a paste. Apply it on the canker sores affected areas. Rinse off with water after 3 – 5 minutes.
- Stir equal quantities of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and salt in a bowl. Use it as a mouthwash to clear the sores. Repeat it 5 times daily till you cleared the sore completely from the mouth.
Remedy – 2: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and curative properties that help to ease the pain, irritation, and inflammation and thereby speed up the healing process.
Here are few ways of using aloe vera for canker sores.
- Apply a fresh aloe vera gel directly on the sore and leave it like that. Repeat it several times daily.
- Rinse your mouth with freshly prepared aloe vera juice for 3 – 4 times daily.
- Consume 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel for 2 – 3 times daily for boosting your immunity and to get quick relief from inside the body.
- Rinse your mouth with fresh aloe vera juice and then sprinkle some baking soda directly on the sore. Continue doing the same process for twice daily.
Remedy – 3: (Hydrogen Peroxide)
Hydrogen peroxide has strong disinfectant and antibacterial properties that fight against the bacteria causing infection. It also dries out the affected area to give faster healing.
Remedy – 4: (Honey)
Honey has antibacterial and soothing properties that heal the damaged skin and reduces the pain and inflammation that are associated with canker sores.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 teaspoon of raw honey.
- Stir well to make a paste and apply it on the canker sores affected areas.
- Let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- Repeat it twice daily till you get complete relief from the canker sores
Note: Or simply apply some raw honey all around the canker sores affected areas to ease the pain and inflammation.
Remedy – 5: (Coriander)
Coriander exhibits antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to alleviate the canker sores symptoms. It also helps to reduce the pain and other discomforts caused by canker sores.
- Boil 1 glass of water and pour a handful of coriander leaves (or 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds) in it.
- Boil it for few minutes and strain the water.
- Let the water cool to reach lukewarm and use it to gargle your mouth for 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or you can drink the juice prepared from fresh coriander leaves for several times daily (or) apply coriander leaves paste on the affected area.
Remedy – 6: (Milk of Magnesia)
Milk of magnesia will neutralize the acids in the mouth causing canker sores. It also coats and soothes the irritated tissues in the mouth to heal the pain and irritation caused by canker sores.
- Apply milk of magnesia directly on the canker sores by using a cotton swab.
- Leave it on for few minutes and wash off with water.
- Repeat the same process for 3 – 4 times daily.
Note: Or mix equal quantities of milk of magnesia and Benadryl and apply it directly on the sore. Don’t swallow it and rinse off with water and repeat regularly.
Remedy – 7: (Tea Bags)
The tannic acid in tea bags acts as an astringent that helps a lot in reducing the pain and inflammation. Regular usage will help to speed up the healing process.
- Prepare either black tea or green tea or chamomile or any herbal tea by using tea bags.
- Let the tea cool for few minutes and use it to rinse your mouth.
- Refrigerate the used tea bags for few minutes.
- Then place the wet chilled tea bag gently over the canker sore affected area.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and discard the tea bag.
- Do the same process for 2 – 3 times daily to get complete relief from the canker sores.